On April 19-20, 2018, a National Seminar on "Promoting Sustainable Development through Technical and Vocational Training and Education in Armenia" was held by the UNESCO Chair on "Education for Sustainable Development" at the initiative of the UNECE and with the financial support of the Swiss State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation.
The purpose of the workshop was to discuss the mechanisms of integration of vocational education and training with sustainable development education and organization of cross-sectorial dialogue of key stakeholders to find opportunities for reorientation of the vocational education and training system for promoting the implementation of sustainable development goals and concepts and the development of relevant ESD-competencies of educators.
The following recommendations were suggested by the end of the workshop for the improvement of the sector:
- Organize trainings for teachers, especially with the involvement of narrow specialists,
- Increase the amount of practical work during the training course.
- Exchange of experience with different countries, both at the level of teaching staff and the learners.
- Development of criteria for narrow specialties based on ESD competences.
- Frequent retraining of teachers by foreign specialists of the relevant fields.